Sunday, August 29, 2010

Scott's Surgery




On Wednesday Scott had surgery to repair his ACL. He tore it about a month ago playing basketball. He didn't see much improvement while waiting for surgery. He still could not straighten his leg all the way and couldn't bend it very far at all when he went in. All in all the surgery went well. The girls have LOVED having him home for a couple days, even if he does sleep most of the time. He has started his exercises already and can currently bend his knee to almost 90 degrees. This is a great improvement from where he was before surgery!
I decided that I should take advantage of Scott being home so a couple days after the surgery the older girls and I put Jane and Scott down for a nap and then went for a quick dip in the pool.
The girls are getting to be such good swimmers. They both will jump in at the deep end and swim all the way to the shallow end. Ella does it all by herself and Kate only needs a little bit of help when it is time to breathe. They love it though and have so much fun every time they go.

We also found a family of caterpillars this week. We often will find one and keep it for a day or so and then let it go. I love to let the girls watch nature and feel like they are taking care of something. I just don't like to kill it so we don't keep them very long! With everything going on this week though I forgot about the poor family. When the girls remembered to go check on them they couldn't find them in their "home". I looked and sure enough, two dead caterpillars. On closer examination though I found a cocoon. (I pointed it out to Ella and she said, "Oh, I thought that was just poop!"). Well, the cocoon hatched yesterday and out came a butterfly/moth?. The girls were so excited. It was really pretty neat to see it come out and slowly open up. We let the butterfly go and the girls thought it was pretty cool!(yes that is a pretzel in there. Kate is still learning what animals actually eat!)

3 comments:

THE BROWN FAMILY said...

So jealous of all the fun your kids have! Way to keep them active.

Magic Marker said...

Wow, I hope everything goes well with Scott, and the swimming looks like tons of fun. Sounds like your girls are great swimmers:)

ktizgrt said...

I hope Scott is continuing to improve. After all, what is life without BBall?

The girls look great! I am SO glad that they swim. They look adorable!